Saturday, August 31, 2013

**Review** Everything Breaks by Vicki Grove

Title- Everything Breaks
Author- Vicki Grove
Genre- YA
Publisher- Putnam Juvenile
Release Date- 3rd of October 2013

GOODREADS

Blurb- Tucker was supposed to be the designated driver. But there was something about the beauty of that last true summer night, that made him want to feel out-of-control just once. He drank so much and so quickly that he was instantly sick. That left Trey to drive. "I'll catch up to you later," were the last words Tucker would ever say to his friends as he heaved by the side of the road. It was the last time Tucker would ever see them alive.

Tucker’s grief and guilt are just about unbearable and he wonders how he can continue living himself. When he meets the Ferryman who carries souls of the newly deceased across the rivers that divide the world of the living from the world of the dead, Tucker gets a chance to decide: live or die. The temptation to join his three best friends on the other side may be too much for Tucker to overcome.   A gripping, haunting and emotional read.


 3 Sassy Books!

Review-  I am finding myself really conflicted with how to review this book. For the majority of the book I found myself quite confused with no idea of which direction the book was suppose to be going in. So we have Tucker, a kind of quiet teen with what comes across as having what I would describe as a 'follower' type personality. Loyal, trustworthy and an all round great friend. We follow Tucker and his friends at the start of the book living their every day lives doing every day things until things go sour when his mates car careen over the side of a mountain with them in it. 

Now things up until this point were quite boring. I found it quite jumpy and found myself lost maybe because of the writing style. It would drift off in one direction then end up in another.

After the 'accident' things got even more confusing for me. Weird things happening with no explanation or description. Even though the book was heavily descriptive, I found it was descriptive in the wrong parts leaving me confused for the majority of the book, and it wasn't until the very last few chapters that I kind of had a clue as to where the story was going. Although I find the storyline itself unique and fascinating, the delivery just didn't sit well with me.

One positive for the book was that the characters were well established. They were described well and I got a sense of who they were as people. However the writing style made it hard for me to make a personal connection to them.

Throughout the majority of the book I rated Everything Breaks as a 2 star read. What bumped it up to a 3 was the ending. The message for the book appealed to me and that is to embrace life. 

Although Everything Breaks wasn't exactly for me, I have been reading reviews from a few people who have loved it so you might too!

Vicki Grove on WEBSITE and GOODREADS.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We LOVE to hear what you our followers think, thank you for your wonderful comments. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...